Road Traffic Offences
If you need legal advice, fill out the form below and one of our legal experts will get back to you as soon as possible.
Get in touch
What is dangerous driving?
This is a very serious allegation when faced by any driver and the prosecution is required to prove that the way in which the vehicle was driven fell far below the standard of a competent and careful driver. If you are driving in a way that could cause harm to yourself, other road users or pedestrians your driving will be considered to be dangerous driving. Dangerous driving can include:
- Driving through red lights or ignoring signs
- Driving at high speeds
- Racing other cars at speeds
- Undertaking or overtaking dangerously
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including prescribed medication when advised not to
- Driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition
- Driving whilst being distracted
Death by Dangerous Driving
What are the penalties for causing death by dangerous driving?
This offence is so serious that it would only be tried in the Crown Court. As a consequence, if found guilty a long prison sentence together with a very lengthy period of disqualification will follow.
If you are prosecuted for death by dangerous driving, you will receive a mandatory disqualification for driving any vehicle for a minimum of two years and a compulsory extended retest at the end of the disqualification. In some cases, you may also be charged with an unlimited fine.
What will the court consider?
When being sentenced for death by dangerous driving The Court will consider the following:
- How responsible was the offender for causing the accident?
- How many people were killed and/or injured as a result of the accident
- What is the offender’s relationship to the victim?
- Driving under the influence of medication when advised not to
- Previous convictions
- Any offences committed at the same time i.e: stolen vehicle, driving with no insurance
Do you require legal assistance?
It is important to get legal help as soon as possible if you are being charged with dangerous driving and/or death by dangerous driving.
Our Road Traffic Offence solicitor is on hand to help you, call us today on 0161 798 9000.